How can we improve Sitecore?

Additional Include File location for user defined overrides

The Includes folder is getting cluttered with all the additional Sitecore configs, and now with the addition of Z.SwitchToMaster we are having to prepend more and more Z's to our own folder.

I propose the addition of a new folder location, /App_Config/Overrides, which will patch in last and allow for project defined patches to be placed, keeping default Sitecore configurations separate. This is a simple one line addition to LoadAutoIncludeFiles() located in Sitecore.Configuration.Factory class.

23 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kamruz JamanKamruz Jaman shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nick WesselmanNick Wesselman commented  · 

I like Chris' suggestion -- being able to isolate module configurations would be nice too, and with his idea we at Active Commerce would be able to add /App_Config/ActiveCommerce as well, to patch in between the base and project-specific.

• Chris Van De SteegChris Van De Steeg commented  · 

And while doing this, add something like <sitecoreconfigProviders> to the web.config and provide a ISitecoreConfigProvider. This way you could add any folder you'd like by adding another SitecoreConfigFileConfigProvider with an attribute path="". Or we could hook up our own provider returning config entries from yaml, json, or whatever.

Not that I need yaml, json or whatever, but I do want to be able to make config files conditional (http://www.chrisvandesteeg.nl/2015/05/08/sitecore-conditional-configs-2-0/) in a less hacky way (reflectionless)

Feedback and Knowledge Base